Flood Protection Information

Because your property is in or near an area subject to flooding, the following information may be of interest to you. This information is offered to help protect your property and reduce potential losses due to flooding. The City of Oakland Park is dedicated to assisting our residents and businesses to reduce the hazardous effects of flooding in our community. View Oakland Park's 2021 Floodplain Management Plan.

Local Flood Hazard

Approximately 40% of the City is in an AH or AE zone Special Flood Hazard Area (SFHA). This means that if you live or own a business in Oakland Park you are in or adjacent to an SFHA and are at risk for flooding. Buildings in an SFHA have a 26% chance of being flooded during a 30-year mortgage. Inland flooding occurs when rain from hurricanes overflows rivers, streams and canals such as the North Fork of the Middle River.

Property owners in Oakland Park have filed claims after major storms and flooding events. From David in 1979; Floyd in 1986; and Irene 1999. Also when heavy rainfall caused severe flooding; Jeanne in 2003; Francis in 2004; Wilma in 2005; through recent events such as Isaac in 2012 and Irma in 2017.

CRS Discount

The City is helping to keep the cost of flood insurance low by participating in the Community Rating System (CRS). The CRS is administered by the National Flood Insurance Program, which offers discounts to all property owners located in the City in exchange for certain requirements being met by the City. Oakland Park is currently earning a 20% discount for residential and non-residential property owners within the City. Make sure your insurance premium includes this benefit. If you have any questions please contact Planning Division staff at 954-630-4345.

When Flood Insurance is Required

The Flood Disaster Protection Act requires the purchase of flood insurance to receive federal or federally-related financial assistance for acquisition and/or construction of buildings in an SFHA. Homeowner’s insurance does not cover flooding; therefore, a separate policy must be purchased. Under the recently enacted National Flood Insurance Reform Act, the lender is legally responsible for determining if a flood insurance policy is required for a loan. Coverage may be purchased for both the building and its content. Residences can be insured for up to $250,000 for the building and $100,000 for the contents. Because content coverage is separate, renters can also insure their belongings up to the said amount. Nonresidential buildings can be insured for up to $500,000 for the building and $50,000 for the contents. Since these figures can vary, check with your insurance company for further details.

FEMA is using a new methodology called Risk Rating 2.0, assessing, and reflecting more variables to deliver flood insurance rates that are equitable, easier to understand and better reflect a property's individual flood risk. These variables include flood hazard types, distance from a flooding source, frequency of flooding, elevation, and the cost to rebuild a property. Currently, many policyholders with lower-value buildings are paying more than they should, and those with higher-value buildings are paying less than they should. Risk Rating 2.0 was entirely in effect April 1, 2022. For more information talk to your insurance agent, and go to FEMA.gov/flood-insurance/risk-rating.

Please purchase flood insurance even if you are not in a Special Flood Hazard Area (SFHA)! Remember, there is typically a 30-day waiting period after purchase for the flood insurance policy to become effective.

Find valuable flood awareness information on FEMA’s Floodsmart website at www.FloodSmart.gov. You can find names of insurance agents near you on the website or by calling Floodsmart at 800-427-4661.

Floodplain Permit Requirements

Among other things, a building permit is required for:
  • Construction of a building or structure
  • Dredging
  • Excavating
  • Filling
  • Grading
  • Paving
  • Permanent storage of materials or equipment
This applies to commercial and industrial property as well as residential. Contact the Building Division at 954-630-4350 prior to performing any of these activities, or if you observe these activities being performed without a permit being posted on the property. Build responsibly!