Planning & Zoning
To speak with a Planning & Zoning staff member call 954-630-4423. The Planning and Zoning Division provides the following functions:
- Ensures development projects and commercial and residential land uses are consistent and compatible with their zoning districts, their surrounding area, and the Comprehensive Plan
- Guides citizens, developers, and builders as it conducts development reviews for site development plans, plats, re-zonings, conditional uses, and variances
- Manages and updates the City’s Comprehensive Plan and Land Development Code including the recent 2021 Evaluation and Appraisal Report and Assessment of Changes Matrix
- Provides technical assistance to the City Commission and provides technical guidance and administration to the Planning and Zoning Advisory Board, Historic Preservation Board, and Board of Adjustment
- Presides over, provides technical reviews for, and administers the Development Review Committee (DRC)
- Tracks, monitors, and guides development within the City
- Provides Zoning Verification Letters; for questions on this, please contact: Rick Buckeye, 954-630-4345 or by e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
- Performs planning projects for various topics including short- and long-range plans, neighborhood projects, and citywide initiatives.
Updating the Comprehensive Plan
The Planning and Zoning Division is preparing a new City of Oakland Park Comprehensive Plan, replacing the one that was written in 2007. Community meetings will be held throughout the project. Visit the interactive webpage for current information about the plan as it is updated regularly with opportunities for community input. The first community meeting is scheduled for Wednesday, March 23, 2022. For more information about his meeting, click here Version OptionsPlanning & ZoningHeadline.
A Century of Architecture
The Planning and Zoning Division created "A Century of Architecture" to highlight the original decorative features and elements found on buildings throughout the City.
New Downtown Zoning Regulations
Use these links to access the new Design Guidelines and Zoning Regulations for Downtown Oakland Park. Information about additional activity in updating zoning for Downtown can be found here Version OptionsPlanning & ZoningHeadline.
New Residential Zoning Regulations
Oakland Park has new compatibility-oriented zoning regulations in the Land Development Code for residential districts. Click here Version OptionsPlanning & ZoningHeadline to view the new guide sheet on these new standards.
Development Review Committee (DRC)
The purpose of Development Review Committee (DRC) is for various City departments to complete a technical review of proposed developments and provide written comments for the applicant.
- Zoning Map
- Future Land Use Map - Comprehensive Plan
- Opportunity Zones
- Community Redevelopment Area
- Neighborhood Associations
Neighborhood Participation Meetings
There are currently no Neighborhood Participation Meetings scheduled at this time.
Current Development Applications:
- Villa Savona- 4200 NE 7 Terr
- Landing Oaks- 349 NW 40 St
- Green Pines- 433 NW 40 Ct
- Oakland Groves Townhomes -- 2900-block NW 29 St
- RES III Townhomes -- 333 NW 41 St
- Bill Rather Parking Configuration -- 3621-3641 NE 11 Av
- Brewlihan Mead Company- NE 5 Ave
- McDonald's Expansion -- 1352 E Commercial Blvd
- McDonald's Drive-thru-- 265 W Oakland Park Blvd
- Mai Kai -- 3599 N Federal Hwy
- Cypress Crossing -- 100 E Cypress Creek Blvd
- Urban League -- 2601 NW 27 Ave
- O2- 3411-3363 N Federal HWY
- Sky Building -- 3701 & 3801 N Dixie Hwy
To ensure that properties meet or exceed development standards established by the City Commission through application of the Land Development Code and Comprehensive Plan.